When Gilmore Girls left our screens in 2007 after seven heartwarming series, fans were left clamouring for more. The fast-paced comedy-drama television series, set in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut, focused on single mother Lorelai Gilmore and her relationship with daughter Rory. As we followed their journey, we became emotionally invested in their lives, and after nine years, they are back. Netflix has, after much anticipation, confirmed that the new episodes will debut on November 25, 2016 at 12:01am PT – that’s 7:01am in the UK. Here’s 10 reasons to be excited about getting our Gilmore girls back.
1) Amy Sherman-Palladino has returned! The original series creator and director crafted the show’s first six seasons, but left for the seventh after not being able to come to an agreement with The CW network. David S. Rosenthal took over for the final season, universally agreed as the worst (sorry, David). The revival, however, is back in Sherman-Palladino’s hands, and we know it’ll be brilliant.
2) The reboot will consist of four 90-minute episodes. That’s like four movies! Each episode will be titled a specific season, beginning with winter, followed by spring, summer and fall.
3) Luke and Lorelai are back together! Our favourite Gilmore Girls couple, whose turbulent relationship was never given its full resolve, is back on – The EW shared images showing Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson holding hands on set, and Patterson has revealed: “we’re together and we’re sort of figuring out our next step.”
4) Is Lorelai pregnant? The Instagram page for the revival – @gilmoregirls – has posted a picture of pop tarts and an apple, and viewers of the show will know that junk-food addict Lorelai only craved an apple when she was pregnant with Rory. Maybe she’s passed this trait on to her daughter, though, and it’s Rory with a bun in the oven – either way, fans are getting very exciting about its meaning.
5) Is someone getting married? A Gilmore Girls fan shared a photo of the show’s prop storage room on Instagram, which showed a lamp that was labelled “wedding.” Although this could be for any minor character, fans are wondering if Rory or Lorelai will be tying the knot.
6) Melissa McCarthy is back as Sookie St. James! The actress, who, since Gilmore Girls has shot to fame in films such as Bridesmaids, Identity Thief and Ghostbusters, will be back as Lorelai’s best friend, business partner and chef in the series. Originally McCarthy said that her schedule meant that she couldn’t return for the revival, yet she’s revealed that she’s found the time to make an appearance.
7) Has Rory become a teacher? One promotional image shows her teaching a class on ‘Jane Eyre.’ When we left her, she was off to cover Barack Obama’s presidential campaign to follow her dreams of becoming an investigative journalist. Fans have been left wondering in anticipation what led to Rory having a change of heart concerning her career.
8) All three of Rory’s ex-boyfriends are back – first love Dean, bad-boy Jess and the charismatic Logan. Although Jared Padalecki, who plays Dean, is reportedly only in one scene, we can’t wait to see how Jess and Logan will feature; Logan was last seen proposing to Rory and being rejected, whilst the elusive Jess was last seen just as he’d published a novel. Although Amy Sherman-Palladino says that Rory in the revival is “single […] as in, not married,” it’s very likely that she could get back with one of her old flames.
9) Edward Hermann’s death isn’t being swept under the rug, and will be given due treatment. When fans found out that he had died, at the age of 71 in 2014, it was devastating; he had portrayed the the stern yet loveable Richard Gilmore for all seven series, with his relationship with on-screen wife Emily being one of the most endearing parts of the show. Cast members have spoken of how the revival will indeed treat the subject of Hermann’s death – “[Herrmann’s death] left a big void, but Amy [Sherman-Palladino] honoured it beautifully,” said Scott Patterson.
10) All of the wonderfully weird members of the Stars Hollow community are back – including confirmed appearances from Michel, Kirk, Ms Patty, Babette, Mourey, Taylor, Andrew, Gypsy, Mrs Kim, and all of Hep Alien – including Lane and Zach’s now-9-year-old twins. We can’t wait!
Words by Steph Green