Sony has hosted their annual PlayStation conference at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. Among the announcements at the conference were previews of what players can expect to see in the coming months on PlayStation, along with some first looks at new titles and content.
Days Gone Bye
First shown at last year’s presentation, fans got a new look at the story of post-apocalyptic title Days Gone.
In the game-play demo mission, players saw Deacon St John travelling to rescue a survivor who has been kidnapped during a supply run. Travelling through what remains of the area, Deacon faces a series of obstacles and enemies – both alive and dead – in order to find his fellow survivor.
Showcasing the melee combat, stealth and tracking mechanics, weapon and vehicle options against the countryside backdrop, the demo gave players an in-depth look at what it will take to survive in this new and punishing world.
Days Gone is currently in development for PlayStation 4. Watch the gameplay demo in full below.
During the presentation, fans of PlayStation VR were treated to a series of previews for upcoming titles:
- Skyrim – the fifth chapter of the hugely successful Elder Scrolls will be launching onto VR in November
- Star Child – this futuristic side-scroller follows a mysterious traveller exploring below the surface on an unknown, alien world.
- Monster of the Deep – this VR expansion for Final Fantasy XV see our heroes get more than they bargained for during a fishing trip.
- Bravo Team – this team based shooter tasks players to protect their President after a trip to Eastern Europe goes wrong.
- Moss – follow the young mouse Quill, who dreams of a life of greatness beyond the confines of her quiet settlement.
- The Inpatient – the Blackwood Sanatorium provides the chilling setting for this title from Supermassive Games – the team behind Until Dawn.
God of War
Another title previewed in 2016, God of War was featured during the presentation with a new trailer and gameplay clip.
With a shift into the world of Norse mythology, God of War sees Kratos living a new life with his son, Atreus. In an era where the gods walked the earth, Kratos must find a way to adapt to unfamiliar lands and unexpected threats while undertaking a quest close to the hearts of Kratos and his son.
During the trailer, a woman can be heard warning Kratos of the dangers these new gods will present to him, as word has spread of his dealings with the Greeks. The trailer ends with Kratos and Atreus encountering the World Serpent, Jörmungandr, who offers Kratos a potential partnership.
God of War is scheduled to be released on PlayStation 4 in early 2018. Watch the gameplay trailer below.
The story, and the world, of Detroit: Become Human was expanded in a new mission trailer.
With an opening showing how lifelike androids are being used for menial work in the future, the trailer introduced players to a new character. Played by Grey’s Anatomy star Jesse Chambers, Marcus is on a mission to liberate his fellow androids from a life of servitude. Working with North, a fellow Android, Marcus’ target in the trailer is an Android store, which is under constant police surveillance.
During the trailer, players were shown how they have a number of options at their disposal in order to complete a mission. For this task, Marcus and North have to choose the best way to gain access to the store, without alerting the police to their location, as those inside will have the chance to aid Marcus in his android revolution.
Detroit: Become Human is currently in development for PlayStation 4. Watch the latest trailer below.
A number of titles and additional content was previewed during the presentation:
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy – a new story trailer gave players a first look at the game’s antagonist, the ruthless warmonger Asav.
- Horizon: Zero Dawn – the first expansion for the open world title will see Aloy venture into The Frozen Wilds later in the year.
- Monster Hunter: World – the next instalment of the Monster Hunter series will be coming to consoles in early 2018.
- Shadow of The Colossus – the action adventure classic – originally released on PlayStation 2 – will be remastered and released on PlayStation 4 in early 2018
- Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite – a new story trailer revealed more details about the franchise favourites battle against the combined power of Ultron Sigma.
- Call of Duty WWII – players got an up-close and personal look at the harsh environments of this first person shooter, with a look at trench warfare.
- Destiny 2 – the new “Red Legion” trailer gave players another piece of the sequel’s story and also previewed some of the PlayStation exclusive content players will receive.
Spider-Man Swings In
Rounding off the presentation was the first extended look at the Spider-Man game in development at Insomniac Games.
The gameplay demo centres around Spider-Man tracking down the villain behind an attack on a construction site owned by the Kingpin, Wilson Fisk. Using his web-slinging skills in unison with his environment, Peter Parker is able to track the leader of the mercenary group – Martin Li.
Guided by Captain Wanatabe, Spider-Man must race through the skyscrapers of New York to stop Li and his men doing more damage to the city below. A post-trailer also confirmed that Miles Morales will be among the characters in the game, as he is revealed to have been watching the action unfold above him. The trailer also announced that the game would release in early 2018.
Marvel’s Spider-Man is scheduled to be released on PlayStation 4 in early 2018. Watch the gameplay trailer below.
For more information on all of these announcements, watch the conference in full below.
Words by Megan Roxburgh