The winners of the 2018 Golden Joystick Awards have been announced. Celebrating the best games of the past 12 months, the awards cover a wide variety of fields, including Audio, Storytelling, Co-op, eSports and VR.
Taking the most prizes was God of War, winning four awards with studio SIE Santa Monica picking up an additional award for Studio of the Year. Also among the top prize winners was the smash-hit Fortnite, which was named Ultimate Game of the Year.
There was also recognition for Xbox and their newly released Adaptive controller, as well as a look back at the illustrious career of FromSoftware’s Hidetaka Miyazaki who was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award.
See the full list of winners below.
- Best Storytelling– God of War
- Best Competitive Game– Fortnite
- Best Cooperative Game– Monster Hunter: World
- Best Visual Design– God of War
- Best Indie Game– Dead Cells
- Best Audio– God of War
- Still Playing Award– World of Tanks
- Best Performer– Bryan Dechart (as Connor from Detroit: Become Human)
- Esports Game of the Year– Overwatch
- Best VR Game– The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim VR
- Studio of the Year– SIE Santa Monica Studio
- Best New Streamer / Broadcaster– Bryan Dechart and Amelia Rose Blaire
- Mobile Game of the Year– PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Mobile
- PC Game of the Year– Subnautica
- PlayStation Game of the Year– God of War
- Xbox Game of the Year– Forza Horizon 4
- Nintendo Game of the Year– Octopath Traveler
- Breakthrough Award– Unknown Worlds
- Most Wanted Game– Cyberpunk 2077
- Critics Choice Award– Red Dead Redemption 2
- Lifetime Achievement– Hidetaka Miyazaki (FromSoftware)
- Outstanding Contribution– Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Ultimate Game of the Year– Fortnite
The Golden Joystick Awards 2018 can be viewed in full on their Twitch channel.
Words by Megan Roxburgh