Ubisoft has given fans a glimpse of what they can expect over the coming months with the first Ubisoft Forward presentation.
The pre-show featured information on the studio’s current releases, including:
- New events and tracks for season 3 of Just Dance 2020,
- New events and cars coming launching over the next few months to start Year Three of The Crew 2,
- A look at some special Easter eggs in The Division 2,
- The announcement that the Gigatrack will be coming to Trials Rising on July 16,
- Previews of three indie projects currently in development – Curious Expedition 2, Surgeon Simulator 2 and Spiritfarer.
The pre-show concluded with an in-depth look at the upcoming launch of AI Teammates in Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. Available to all solo players from July 15, this team of three will be available to assist players in their missions. Among the features available with this AI team will be the ability to auto mark targets, as well as being able to issue orders to team members via drones. Also, a new live event – Resistance – was teased with a first look featuring a radio call for people to stand against the Sentinel soldiers.
The core show switched focus to Ubisoft’s upcoming releases. First up: Watch Dogs Legion. Originally scheduled for a March release, the London based sequel will now be released on October 29, 2020. Fans also got a first look at two of the game’s primary antagonists – ruthless crime syndicate boss Mary Kelley and the uncompromising CEO of Albion, Nigel Cass.
New footage also expanded the game’s setting and how Albion, a privately run military force, was able to seize control of London and further expands the details of how every person players encounter can become playable as part of the resistance.
Next was a series of announcements regarding new content to celebrate the fans and communities for Ubisoft’s franchises:
- When Brawlhalla releases on mobile on August 6, the game will have crossplay from launch and players who pre-register will unlock an exclusive skin,
- New rewards and bonuses are now available to current – and new – players of Might & Magic: Era of Chaos,
- A new trailer for Tom Clancy’s Elite Squad announced that there will be bonuses for those who pre-register for the game while the community for Rainbow Six Siege were thanked for their efforts in shaping the game, as the player base hits 60 million total.
- New battle royale title Hyper Scape showcased the game’s story with an expanded trailer, accompanied by the announcement that the beta is now open to all PC players.
Next up was Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. Lead designer Julien Laferrière explained how the development team had taken a journey across parts of Norway and England to immerse themselves in how the characters of this upcoming title would have lived, before fans got a another look at what they can expect from the game, which is set to be released on November 17.
Focusing on a female Eivor, the new gameplay demo showcased story and gameplay elements – both on land and at sea – as well as character design, locations, battle types and how the decisions players make will have a lasting impact on their story. The showcase also emphasised the importance of Eivor’s crew in gathering resources and how exploration will also play a key part in Eivor’s journey.
To close out the event, CEO Yves Guillemot announced that there will be more Ubisoft Forward events in the coming months, with more announcements and developments to come. With his final remarks, Guillemot also introduced the first official look at Far Cry 6.
Starring Giancarlo Esposito of Breaking Bad fame as antagonist Anton Castillo, the game takes place on the island of Yara. A country being torn apart by revolution, the first look trailer shows Castillo speaking with his son, and heir to his dictatorship, Diego and taking the boy through a tough lesson about power.
Along with the trailer, Ubisoft confirmed the game is currently set for a release on Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC and Stadia on February 18, 2021.
Full information on all the games featured, along with pre-order information, can be found on the Ubisoft Website. Watch the presentation in full below.
Words by Megan Roxburgh